Founded in 1971, the Association for Women in Science (AWIS) is the largest multi-disciplinary organization for women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). We are dedicated to driving excellence in STEM by achieving equity and full participation of women in all disciplines and across all employment sectors. AWIS reaches more than 20,000 professionals in STEM with members, chapters, and affiliates worldwide. Membership is open to any individual who supports the vision and mission of AWIS.
Learn more about AWIS History Download the AWIS Factsheet
AWIS champions the interests of women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics across all disciplines and employment sectors. Working for positive system transformation, AWIS strives to ensure that all women in these fields can achieve their full potential.
AWIS has a vision for women in STEM to be:
- Compensated fairly and without discrimination
- Advanced equitably and without bias
- Exposed to successful role models in leadership positions
- Recognized and respected for their scientific and leadership achievements
AWIS Strategic Plan
The AWIS Strategic Plan for 2015â€“2018 focuses on three strategic pillars:
Find out more by downloading a copy of our strategic plan.
- Positive system transformation
- Leadership and talent development
- Organizational capacity
Download the AWIS Strategic Plan